Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Sunshine Card

Welcome to the Picnic Blog Hop sponsored by Club Scrap!

I saw a nifty card design/tutorial at a blog hop along the way. I can't remember where . . . but this is not my original design. However, I thought it went together with our Picnic kit like peez 'n carrits.


You'll need the Club Stamp Text Weight print to create this fun specimen of joy. (I love that four-up print each month!)

1. Trim one 1.5x4.5, one 1.5x4, two 1.5x3 and two 1.5x2" pieces. It would have been wise to vary the patterns on the two smaller sets of two each. Don't be like me.


2. Abandon your fear of the craft knife and use it to cut each piece from corner to opposing corner to create twelve right triangles.


3. Using a pivot point in the upper left quadrant of a 4x5.25" card panel, attach the triangles with somewhat equal spacing and alternating patterns.


4. Flip the whole works over and trim excess paper from the perimeter of the panel with a trimmer or ruler and craft knife.


5. Tah-dah!


6. Prepare a folded 4.25x5.5" card base. For the greeting, I stamped the sentiment from the Picnic UM Borders & Backgrounds onto Light Pink paper and then die cut into a fun shape. I liked the idea of allowing the die cut to extend beyond the left edge of the panel. Just trim it off. Your "eye" finishes the rest of the shape, and it adds interest and balance to the card.




It's time to hop over to see what Hetty has planned for her picnic at Craft Chaos. Thanks for joining us!

Tricia

23 comments:

  1. Great card design! I love making interesting backgrounds and this is perfect for summer! Going to have to try my hand at this.

    Thanks for the great idea and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the design on your card, Tricia. One more idea to use all those little scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous and such perfect execution of a wonderful card to use up the bits and pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tricia...THAT IS AWESOME! Stealing that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great way to make a fun card

    ReplyDelete
  6. will definitely have to add this to my collection of cards to design! I love it!!! thanks for the great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you sure you weren't a quilter in another life? I think you would be great at that (like you need another crafty hobby right?) Love the card (P.S. The party is at 6pm Saturday, come on down!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great graphic card, Tricia, thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really cute card -- love the "rays"! Have a great day Tricia!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH Tricia, this reminds me a bit of the carpet tape chronicles series and the tile or herringbone techniques. Cool way to paper engineer your card!! LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a fun technique you've shared with us again! Converting it to a LO background would be fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just a fun and visually interesting card, thanks for the directions because I know I am going to use it sometime myself!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very much like quilting, yes it is. Wonderful idea, and I like Kay's suggestion to use that on a LO or create a large LO with that idea. Thanks!
    Beth M

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cool technique! I remember also being inspired when I first saw it, and it bugged me until I could track down where I had seen it. I finally found it, it was on the OWH Memorial Day Blog Hop, #4... http://www.sharoncheng.com/2014/05/starburst-patriotic-card-with-tutorial.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for hunting down the source, Lynn! At the time when I saw it, I just wrote down a sketch of the measurements but didn't pin it! I should know better!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fun and colorful background! Thanks for the instructions and measurements. I'm going to have to try this with various printed papers.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome card! Love the sentimnt qnd everything about the card.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is definitely on my to do list - Great card

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fabulous tutorial, Tricia! I've been wanting to try one of these sunbursts for a while.

    ReplyDelete