Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Gelli Plate 12x12 One Sheet Wonder


Thanks for hopping over to see more of Club Scrap's Hydrangreas collection at work. I've been on a Gelli Arts kick lately, and couldn't resist playing with my 8" round printing plate and the huge masking stencil included in the Lite kit.

I followed the steps shown in the latest Gelli Arts video about a technique called Faux Chine Colle. I find that learning new techniques takes practice, but I was pretty happy with the results of my first attempt. Then I used the collage print as a "one sheet wonder" to create a layout and cards.


Here's how you can do it, too . . .

1. Select some text weight collage papers such as pages from an old atlas, dictionary, maps, phone book, etc. You could even use the text weight collage prints we include in the Club Stamp kit every month!


2. Tear the sheets to an appropriate size to fit onto a 12x12 White Plain (80# Cover Weight) base paper.


3. Cover the back of each collage piece thoroughly with CS Bookbinding Glue. Leave no area unglued! TIP: Protect your work surface with an old magazine while you glue the paper; turn to a fresh page for each piece. Burnish the pieces onto the paper with a bone folder.


4. Locate your stencils, 8" plate, brayer, and acrylic paints while the collage piece dries.


5. Squeeze a few pea-sized dabs of paint onto the plate and roll with a brayer until smooth.


6. Place the Hydrangeas stencil onto the plate and cover with a piece of light weight paper. Burnish the paper onto the plate and "pull" the print. Do not remove the stencil.


7. With the stencil in place, brayer a different color onto the plate. (In this case, yellow. And I'm sorry . . . I got a little carried away and forgot to take a photo of this step.) Remove the stencil and press the collage sheet onto the plate to pull the print. Cool part: The paint that was protected by the stencil will contrast with the second layer of paint application around it.


8. Repeat steps five through seven a few more times.




9. Incorporating those nifty stencils from the Geometrics collection is very effective. Do you have them yet? They are back in stock!


10. Keep going until you feel like stopping. Hind site being 20/20, I would have prepared about ten more 12x12 collage sheets before I got started with the paint.


11. After the paint is dry, trim the sheet at 11, 8 and 4". Cut each 4x12 horizontally at 10.5 and 5.25".


12. Use the trimmed elements to create four 4.25x5.5" cards and a 12x12 layout.


It's such a cool artistic effect with the contrasting paint colors and text behind it.
Each panel was matted with black and attached to a Hydrangeas Yellow card base.
Stamp directly onto the panels with India Black ink. 




Hop along now to see what Hetty has been up to at Craft Chaos! If you'd like to go to the top of the hop, stop in at Club Scrap Creates.

Tricia

26 comments:

  1. Glad to see you love the gelli plate and what a fun technique this is. Great backgrouds for beautiful cards. That scrapbookpage is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Four cards and a scrapbook page embellishment...that IS a one sheet wonder! I really like this technique. I see some Gelli Arts videos in my future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun fun fun! I loved that technique and it pairs wonderfully with this months kit! Awesome cards & SB lo ~ TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW, what amazing texture and depth in this artwork. I definitely need to give this one a try!! Thanks for sharing Tricia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the layout and the Trees card the very bestest! You need to give your daughter some "stop growing" pills. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ughhhhh, every time I think I'm not going to buy the gelli plate, you show something fantastic Tricia! This technique might push me over the edge - it is so cool! And that is perfect that you can incorporate this into both a layout and cards, all at once. Thanks for showing us how to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! These are so amazing! I have a feeling that I'll be buying the gelli plates....

    ReplyDelete
  8. The page and cards are stunning, Tricia! Your gelli print art is so inspiring. Now if I could just squeeze a few more hours in a day to play . . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! This is beautiful! I am not going to get a gelli plate! No, not going to do it. LOL...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know how it is when you get carried away and forget to take a photo of a step while crafting, it happens almost every time I'm with you! You and the Gelli Print are going to be great pals for life, thanks for showing your awesome results! Talk about eye candy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very impressive! I'm drawn to artwork that uses thin pages from dictionaries, etc., just haven't tried anything. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing the art you can get from the gelli plate. The cards and layout are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will have to give this technique a try, it sure has a neat effect. I love creating things when you do not know how they are going to turn out. Appreciate the measurements as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Where is the love button. Absolutely gorgeous and definitely one I will try.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing! You make me want to pull out my gelli plate right now! I did not think of using the round for a large piece for a one sheet wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your collage printed cards. i always think doing a collage is a brave move. You can get to the end and have a mess. ( at least I can!) but the good news is that sometimes you get something lovely like your project. Good work, Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very cool technique, Tricia! Maybe I should break out the Gelli plate I bought a few months ago, hmmmm? :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ok ibought a gelli plate months ago and have been intimidated tio much to try it. You make it loik so easy! Gorgeous cards and layouts from your collage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Set aside a morning and give 'er a whirl! You'll wonder what you've been waiting for. (I was much the same way . . . I thought, how can it be that easy?)

      Delete
  19. I don't have a gelli-plate, I've seen them advertised. Seems like it is the latest. Tricia you make it look pretty easy. Maybe I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The Faux Chine Colle technique is so awesome! and your projects are inspiring. thank you so much, -con

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, so pretty! I did buy a Gelli plate from you. Now I just have to USE it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  22. Outstanding results! Tricia, thaks for the inspiration. I love playing w my gelli plate~now, I want to try some of your layers.

    ReplyDelete