Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Graffi-TEA Dispenser Project


Welcome to the Graffiti Blog Hop!

My daughter has been sipping a lot of hot tea lately. (No wonder . . . . it's January in Wisconsin.) I'd pinned a tea dispenser about a year ago and thought it would be a fine time to upgrade my daughter's tea stash storage with a style more suited to her liking.

Heidi Backs did a terrific job calculating the size of the container and lid, so I went ahead with her dimensions, even though they are a bit advanced . . . 

1. Determine the grain direction of a 12x12 sheet of Graffiti Black Plain (Smooth or Felt). Place the paper into the trimmer with the most flexible direction running north/south; cut at 6". Score the 6x12 horizontally at 3-1/16, 5-3/4, 8-13/16 and 11-1/2". Yes, you read that correctly. GROAN! Score vertically at 1". Score the second section at 1-3/4", as shown in the diagram. Cut along solid lines and fold along all score lines. Glue the 1/2" tab inside the square to form the walls of the dispenser.


(I simply tucked and adhered the 1-3/4" flap to the inside of the container.)

2. Score a 4-1/4x4-5/8" piece of Graffiti Black Plain 3/4" from each outside edge. Trim along solid lines and adhere corner tabs to form the lid.



3. Take a "pet the pet" break from all of that measuring, scoring and folding. You'll feel better. I'd like to thank Brenda's dog, Missy, for being there to provide comfort after figuring out where 8-13/16ths is.


4. Use a ruler, cutting mat and utility knife to cut a 3-1/4x3-1/2" Book Board or Matte Board Base. (Use whatever you have on hand.) Wrap with 5-1/4x5-1/2" Graffiti Black Plain. This will make a nice base for the dispenser.


5. Cover the bottom of the wrapped base, if desired, and add four wooden feet for an extra-special touch.


6. Apply glue to the bottom flaps of the dispenser and attach to the base. At this point, I simply measured and trimmed panels for the entire exterior of the unit, lid and all. That was the fun part!


7. To make a square paper "handle" for the lid, trim a 1-1/2x2-1/2" piece of black plain and score every 1/2" in each direction. Make cuts according to the solid lines in the diagram and form into a square.




Enjoy decorating and embellishing your very own Graffi-Tea dispenser!



Thirsty for tea? I am, too! Grab a cup and skip on over across the pond to Craft Chaos with Hetty Sanders! If you'd like to go to the beginning of the Graffiti hop, start sipping at Club Scrap Creates.

Tricia

39 comments:

  1. This month's bloghop is like watching fireworks. With each page I "Oooh! Aaaaah!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great project you have for us,Tricia. Handy and colorfuland a great gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Tricia - this project just pops!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the cute project and esp the pet break. I gave my mom a "manatea" for Christmas (Google it!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just to cute Tricia!! I bet your girly loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So fun, yet so practical! I'm very glad you were able to find 8-13/16". How precise!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a lurker by nature and, while I've really enjoyed the projects on this hop, I've remained true to form until now. Even with the intricate instructions, I know just who to make this for. My cocker spaniel loves it when I do projects because he knows that there will be LOTS of "pet the pet" breaks...LOL!

    Thanks for a wonderful post!
    Bossann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for coming out of lurkdom to let me know you'll give this a try! Good luck!

      Delete
  8. This is so fun Tricia! I definitely think I would need to make tea and caffeinate myself before attempting 8 13/16ths. But I love the end result - handy and pretty! Thanks for showing us how to put this together!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you! I love the project, and also the directions!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome project, I'm going to have to make one of these!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just adorable and I love how might and fun it is, may it always warm her heart.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cool project ~ I thought I was the only one who took pet breaks ;)
    I'm sure your daughter will love her tea dispenser!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea - tea dispenser with the lively graffiti kit to brighten the winter blahs! Adorable pet too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is adorable!! I am sure she loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful project! Your tea dispenser turned out gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful idea this is, Tricia. I'm sure your daughter loves this idea as well. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great little tea box, but I mostly like the graffiti! Awesome colors!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is wonderful and would make a great gift. I've made some coffee themed items for my desk. I just might need a tea dispenser also. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this project.....thanks so much for all the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Okay, I am in love! How do I pin this?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this project, Tricia! I think I have that same tea dispenser pinned...

    ReplyDelete
  22. I re pinned from knitter Pam. Thank you! Still can't figure out how to pin it from here when there's no Pin It icon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I installed a "Pin It" button to my browser, and then I can pin anything from any page I happen to be visiting, even if there isn't an official "Pin" icon on for the item. Learn more here by scrolling down to "Install Pin It Button": http://about.pinterest.com/goodies/

      Delete
    2. Thanks, I'll give that a try.

      Delete
    3. I also added the automatic "pin it" buttons that will now appear when you hover on a photo. I'm so proud of myself. I did something in html code. ;)

      Delete
    4. Not only pretty, but smart, too! Thank you! :)

      Delete
  23. Forgot to say YAY, thanks! to both of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Not only is this beautiful and I want to make it...I think I can :) Well, at least I am going to try. It will make a wonderful gift for anyone! Thanks, Tricia.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yes indeed I LOVE tea. Will definitely put this on my 'Crafty To Do' list! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a great Valentine's Day gift this would be, love it!!

    ReplyDelete