This is the original pin created by Susan Roberts and posted to the gallery at Split Coast Stampers. I thought this seemed like a cleverly simple masked background.
I fancy my Faber-Castell Oil Pastels, so I thought I'd try this technique with a something besides my go-to hybrid inks. I masked a band on a white panel with painter's tape. (Removal of this inexpensive tape is easier if you add a little lint from your jeans to the tape before sticking it onto your paper. I forgot to do this and tore the paper upon removal.) I then carefully, and I mean carefully, scribbled some color into the masked area.
Then I took a cloth (the same one I use to clean my stamps), and rubbed the pastels into the paper to blend the color. Pretty, isn't it? Carefully peel off that tape. (Or use a much better masking tape designed for paper, like Eclipse from JudiKins.)
Next, I stamped the trees from the Aurora Borealis Club Stamp Unmounted Sheet onto the panel. If I were to do it again, I'd try it with StazOn. Oil 'n water don't mix. So the stamping over the oil pastels looks a wee bit different than it does on the raw paper. But I still liked it enough to keep going. . .
I added a greeting from that same UM sheet and stamped it above the masked band. And, of course, had to hide my damaged paper from my tape removal debacle with a ribbon and bow.
Next, I tried it with our Hybrid inks and a CS Ink Applicator. I used Topaz, Earth, Leaf and Moss inks.
Hindsight had me adding more intensity to my ink application. We had a nifty sprig in the Gratitude kit, so I just grabbed that one. I think it works just fine!
I allowed the inks to dictate the papers for the card base. Paisley Olive and Matrix Brown!